Husband’s actions halted brutal attack by wife on daughter in Westwood, police say

The husband of a Westwood woman who allegedly maimed her 9-year-old daughter with electric hedge cutters on Monday broke down a locked door in their home during the attack, wrested the tool from his spouse, and held onto her until police arrived, an arrest report said.

Anthony Mullin, 39, told police that he awoke shortly before 5 a.m. to the screams of his daughters, aged 9 and 5, in a bedroom and heard one of them say, “why are you doing this, mommy?’’ as he approached the locked door, according to the Westwood police report.

He said he also heard a machine running and then forced his way in to find his wife, Maureen Mullin, holding the older girl with the hedge trimmer running near the child’s face, police said.


Mullin sprang into action, unplugging the trimmer — which was plugged into the wall with an extension cord — and forcing the tool from his wife’s grasp.

“After he did this, he held his wife in a bear hug and escorted her down the front stairs to the living room,’’ the report said.

The younger girl remained upstairs unharmed, while her sister came downstairs into the kitchen with wounds to her hand, neck, and face, according to the report.

While the girl’s injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, “she appeared to have a severely lacerated thumb that was a near amputation,’’ and she was covered in blood, police said.

Anthony Mullin told police that his wife grabbed a kitchen knife downstairs and threatened to attack him and kill herself. Their older daughter then called 911, the report said.

A responding officer found Mullin still holding his blood-drenched wife in a bear hug, the report said, as she repeatedly stated, “I just wanted us all to be together.’’

Anthony Mullin later told police that Maureen was taking medication for depression and had an upcoming doctor’s appointment for an unspecified mental health issue. He could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.


Maureen Mullin, 39, and her older daughter were taken to area hospitals. Mullin was arraigned Monday from her bed at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston on charges including attempted murder and assault and battery on a child causing bodily injury.

A not guilty plea was entered on her behalf, and she was ordered held pending a dangerous hearing on Monday, according to the Norfolk district attorney’s office.

Mullin was in custody at a state prison in Framingham on Tuesday night, a Department of Correction spokeswoman said.

The lawyer for Mullin at her arraignment and the attorney who is taking over her case both declined to comment on Tuesday.

Her daughter’s condition was not immediately available, and a spokeswoman for Boston Children’s Hospital, where the girl had been taken, would not confirm whether the child remained there on Tuesday night.

A responding officer wrote in a report that he was “amazed to see the girl’s bedroom, which had a long orange extension cord which apparently powered the hedge clippers used to injure’’ the child.

“There was an extensive amount of blood on the floor, walls, and bedding of the girl’s bedroom,’’ the officer wrote. “There was blood on the floor/rugs in other upstairs rooms as well.’’