Charlestown man arraigned on charges he fatally shot good Samaritan who intervened in fight

When Pablo Flores walked into a Boston courtroom today and looked at the mother of the man he is accused of killing, she was overcome with emotion.

“I can’t look at him!’’ Susan Rawlinson said, bursting into tears and jumping out of her seat at Flores’s arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court. “Let me out of here! I can’t look at him.’’

Authorities said Rawlinson’s only son, Steven Jones, died trying to break up a fight between Flores and another man in Charlestown in May.

Followed by friends, Rawlinson rushed outside of the courtroom, but later regained her composure, returned to the courtroom, and listened quietly as Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Gretchen Lundgren recounted the last moments of her son’s life.


Jones was 21 years old when he was shot to death.

Lundgren said that at around 10 p.m. on May 7, Jones and a friend were walking on Monument Avenue through their Charlestown neighborhood when they spotted two men fighting, one of whom was much taller and more powerfully built than the other.

Jones and his friend separated the two men, Lundgren said. But Flores, 20, the taller man in the fight, did not stop, the prosecutor said.

“While Mr. Jones and his friend tried to pull apart the defendant and the man he was fighting, the defendant pushed everyone off of him, stepped back, pulled a gun from his waist area, and fired multiple shots at close range,’’ Lundgren said.

Jones, a 2011 graduate of Charlestown High School, where he played lacrosse, baseball and football, was shot in the chest and stomach, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Lundgren said Flores was quickly identified as the suspect and was named in warrants charging him with murder, but managed to avoid capture by Boston police until Wednesday, when they went to a Dorchester residence to question one person, and stumbled across Flores, who was hiding there.

Prosecutors said Flores initially gave a fake name, identifying himself as “Andre Durant.’’


Defense attorney Jeffrey T. Karp told Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson that his client denied the charges against him, but Karp did not address in detail the allegations about his client. Flores pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and several counts of assault with a dangerous weapon.

Wilson ordered Flores held without bail.

Rawlinson was accompanied to the court by more than a dozen of her son’s friends, many of them wearing T-shirts or buttons bearing photographs of Jones.

Rawlinson said she drew strength from the support of her son’s friends, and that she ran from the courtroom because she was overcome by anger at finally seeing the stranger authorities said had murdered her son.

“I lost the most precious thing in my life, my son, my friend,’’ she said after the arraignment. “I’m here for justice today, but it doesn’t bring Steven back.’’

Rawlinson said her son developed friendships using his bright smile and quick sense of humor.

“He was their entertainer,’’ she said.

She added, “You should have seen his wake. [The waiting line] was around the corner.’’

Rawlinson also said she works in the field of substance abuse and addiction, and that her son developed a sense of compassion for those less fortunate than himself.

“You never think your child is watching, but my son was watching,’’ she said. “When he saw someone hungry, he would get them something to eat. When they would need something to wear — he came home many a night to get a sweatshirt’’ to give to a person in need.


“He just had a lot of heart,’’ she said. “Very courageous. Very courageous. Helping someone, he lost his life.’’

Rawlinson and friends will gather Saturday near the memorial bench that bears her son’s name for a brief ceremony. Fundraising plans are in the works to create programs that help children and families in Charlestown, she said.

“What I live with now is what Steven would want me to do [and that is] to lift my head, to smile,’’ she said.

Flores’s sister is also facing charges after allegedly attempting to derail the investigation of her brother.

Jelaine Flores, 18, allegedly contacted two potential witnesses, threatening them with bodily harm, prosecutors said. She faces two counts of witness intimidation and one count of making annoying or harassing phone calls.

Mobile users unable to see the video, click here.

Loading Comments...