Second arrest is made in case of 19-year-old charged with striking and killing two Mass. women on bicycle ride

SEABROOK, N.H. — In a surprising twist in the case of a New Hampshire teenager charged with plowing into bicyclists on a 100-mile ride, killing two Massachusetts women, police made a second arrest on Wednesday night.

Earlier on Wednesday, the alleged driver, Darriean Hess, 19, was arraigned by video conference in Hampton District Court on charges of negligent homicide and second-degree assaut.

But later in the evening, Hampton police said they arrested Cindy Sheppard, 48, of Hampton, and charged her with providing drugs to Hess early on the morning of the crash Saturday. She is also alleged to have allowed Hess to drive without a license.


Sheppard was charged with selling a controlled substance and an offense of allowing an improper person to operate a vehicle, police said in a statement. The relationship between the women was not clear Wednesday night.

Police said that some time after 1:30 in the morning on Saturday, Sheppard supplied Hess with narcotics and later, shortly after 8 a.m., allowed Hess to drive a 2002 Honda, even though she knew she did not have a driver’s license.

Sheppard is being held on $10,000 bail and is scheduled to be arraigned in Seabrook, N.H., on Thursday, police said.

At Hess’s arraignment, David Kelley, a retired State Police major, testified that he saw the teen driving so fast over a bridge that he assumed someone was chasing her.

“I thought I would see cruisers following behind,’’ Kelley told police at the scene.

Authorities say Hess veered across Route 1A on Saturday before fatally striking the two cyclists, who were taking part in the lengthy ride along the coast. After the crash, Hess told Kelley she had taken her eyes off the road for a few seconds, according to court documents released Wednesday.

The new details of the crash, which left two other riders seriously injured, came out at the court proceeding, where Hess was ordered held on $50,000 bail. Because the offenses are felonies, under New Hampshire law no plea was entered on her behalf.


Hess, who was driving without a license and was stopped for speeding just hours before the accident in virtually the same location, showed little emotion during the hearing, which was conducted via video conference from the county jail.

In bail arguments, prosecutor Barry Newcomb said that although the teenager had no criminal record, the seriousness of the charges warranted high bail.

“We’re concerned that she is a risk to public safety,’’ Newcomb said.

With family in Alaska, she also posed a fight risk, he said.

Prosecutors have not said whether they believe Hess was texting before the crash.

Hess’s lawyer, Anthony Naro, said Hess had lived in Seabrook nearly her entire life and was not about to leave her immediate family, which he described as tightknit.

“Her core is in Seabrook,’’ said Naro, a public defender. “There’s absolutely no flight risk.’’

Hess, who is engaged to be married, agreed to be held on house arrest, Naro said, though the judge rejected that option.

Hess is “absolutely traumatized’’ by the fatal crash, Naro said, adding that Hess did not plan to drive “soon, if ever,’’ he said, and has not been eating.

Judge Mark Weaver scheduled a probable cause hearing for Oct. 8.

Pamela Wells, 60, of South Hamilton, and Elise Bouchard, 52, of Danvers, were killed in the crash. Wells and Bouchard were friends who had trained for the Tri-State Seacoast Century ride together, along with Margo Heigh, a Danvers woman injured in the crash. A fourth rider, Uwe Uhmeyer, 60, of Essex, was also injured.


Uhmeyer was treated for fractured neck vertebrae, a concussion, and bleeding behind the eye, among other injuries, court records stated. Heigh was treated for broken bones.

Gordon Wiley, who was close friends with Bouchard, attended the court hearing, and said later that it was right that Hess was held on high bail.

“I wanted to make sure she stays where she is,’’ he said.

Wiley said he and his wife are devastated by Bouchard’s death, describing her as a bright personality who connected with nearly everyone she met.

“She became part of our family,’’ he said.

Wiley questioned whether Hess was truly remorseful for her alleged actions.

“I didn’t see any tears rolling down her face,’’ he said. “She just wants to get out.’’

Cassandra Clifton, Hess’s sister, said the family is “not doing well at all’’ in the aftermath of the crash.

“Everybody’s devastated,’’ she said. Hess is so distraught she can “hardly walk,’’ Clifton said.

“She just wants to be close to her family,’’ she said.

Clifton said the family isn’t sure they can come up with the bail money.

Magnus Hess, her brother, said the family was traumatized by what had happened.

“We mourn for the people that were lost in this tragedy and pray for the ones that are injured,’’ he said.

In court records, police said that visibility was clear and a driver should have seen the group of cyclists from several hundred feet away. Cyclists were traveling single file on the far right side of the road.

After the crash, Hess crossed back into her lane, then into the breakdown lane, where she “continued to crash into roadway delineators,’’ police said. She then crashed into a wooden Seabrook town sign.

Loading Comments...

Job Doc
Making music instrumental
January 11, 2019 | 2:12 PM